View : 163 Download: 0
A Qualitative Study on Changes in the Self-Esteem of Midlife Adults in the Furniture Design Program from Community-Based Art: Lifelong Learning
- A Qualitative Study on Changes in the Self-Esteem of Midlife Adults in the Furniture Design Program from Community-Based Art: Lifelong Learning
- Yoon G.; Kim H.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Archives of Design Research
- Archives of Design Research vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 167 - 185
- Community-Based Art Education; Furniture Design; Lifelong Learning; Self-Esteem of Midlife Adults
- Korean Society of Design Science
- SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
- Background This study aims to explore what changes are brought by a furniture design class based on community-based art education on the self-esteem of midlife adults and the feasibility of it as lifelong learning. Methods Based on a literature review on research themes, furniture design education and learning program based on community-based art education has been developed. Subjects in the study were two males and two females residing in K-gu, Seoul, South Korea, and 24 class sessions proceeded thereafter. The results collected from the class and tape-recording, and computerized data from the results and in-depth interviews were analyzed qualitatively. Results Midlife adults had an interest and actively participated in the furniture design class based on community-based art education and woodwork. There has been an increasing understanding and concern of learners in their local regions from the furniture design class, which has brought about positive changes in self-esteem and preparinge for older adults by learning woodwork skills in furniture design. Furthermore, this has been confirmed to be appropriate as lifelong learning during midlife for a better life. Conclusions A furniture design class based on community-based art education has been confirmed to be effective as lifelong learning on midlife adults. In addition, we confirmed positive changes in the self-esteem of midlife adults and the preparation for older adults. © 2021. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All Rights Reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 교육대학원 > 교육학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.