View : 410 Download: 0
Cyclohexanone-induced stress metabolism of Escherichia coli and Corynebacterium glutamicum
- Cyclohexanone-induced stress metabolism of Escherichia coli and Corynebacterium glutamicum
- Lee, Na-Rae; Yun, Ji-Yeong; Lee, Sun-Mee; Park, Jin-Byung
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- BIOTECHNOLOGY AND BIOPROCESS ENGINEERING
- BIOTECHNOLOGY AND BIOPROCESS ENGINEERING vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1088 - 1098
- Escherichia coli; Corynebacterium glutamicum; cyclohexanone; solvent stress; constraints-based flux analysis
- KOREAN SOC BIOTECHNOLOGY &
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Solvent stress occurs during whole-cell biocatalysis of organic chemicals. Organic substrates and/or products may accumulate in the cellular membranes of whole cells, causing structural destabilization of the membranes, which leads to disturbances in cellular carbon and energy metabolism. Here, we investigate the effect of cyclohexanone on carbon metabolism in Escherichia coli BL21 and Corynebacterium glutamicum ATCC13032. Adding cyclohexanone to the culture medium (i.e., glucose mineral medium) resulted in a decreased specific growth rate and increased cellular maintenance energy in both strains of bacteria. Notably, carbon metabolism, which is mainly involved to increase cellular maintenance energy, was very different between the bacteria. Carbon flux into the acetic acid fermentation pathway was dominantly enhanced in E. coli, whereas the TCA cycle appeared to be activated in C. glutamicum. In fact, carbon flux into the TCA cycle in E. coli appeared to be reduced with increasing amounts of cyclohexanone in the culture medium. Metabolic engineering of E. coli cells to maintain or improve TCA cycle activity and, presumably, that of the electron transport chain, which are involved in regeneration of cofactors (e.g., NAD(P)H and ATP) and formation of toxic metabolites (e.g., acetic acid), may be useful in increasing solvent tolerance and biotransformation of organic chemicals (e.g., cyclohexanone).
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 식품공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.