View : 132 Download: 37
Associations of recommended food score and physical performance in Korean elderly
- Associations of recommended food score and physical performance in Korean elderly
- Jeong G.W.; Kim Y.J.; Park S.; Kim H.; Kwon O.
- Ewha Authors
- 권오란; 김혜숙; 김유진; 정겨운
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 권오란; 김혜숙
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- BMC Public Health
- BMC Public Health vol. 19, no. 1
- Diet quality; Elderly; Hand grip strength; Physical performance; Recommended food score
- BioMed Central Ltd.
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Background: A single nutrient or dietary pattern has been associated with physical performance. However, little is still known about the association of overall dietary quality with physical performance. This study aimed to investigate the link between the recommended food score (RFS), defined as an indicator of overall diet quality, and physical performance among the Korean elderly aged over 65 years. Methods: The study subjects consisted of 622 participants (294 men and 328 women) aged over 65 years from the 2014-2015 National Fitness Award project. Results: The mean value of RFS was higher in elderly women (30.7 ± 7.6) than elderly men (29.5 ± 8.8), but the difference was only marginally significant (P = 0.065). In elderly women, multiple regression linear models, adjusted for potential confounders, showed that RFS was positively related to absolute hand grip strength (kg) (ß = 0.066, 95% CI = 0.010 to 0.122) and relative hand grip strength (%) (ß =0.109, 95% CI = 0.016 to 0.201); other physical performance indicators did not show any association with RFS. In elderly men, none of the physical performance indexes were associated with RFS. Conclusions: These results suggest that a better overall diet quality may be associated with improved grip strength among elderly women in Korea. © 2019 The Author(s).
- Appears in Collections:
- 신산업융합대학 > 식품영양학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
Associations of recommended food score.pdf(597.7 kB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.