View : 69 Download: 0
He-Ar and Nd-Sr isotopic compositions of ultramafic xenoliths and host alkali basalts from the Korean peninsula
- He-Ar and Nd-Sr isotopic compositions of ultramafic xenoliths and host alkali basalts from the Korean peninsula
- Kim K.H.; Nagao K.; Tanaka T.; Sumino H.; Nakamura T.; Okuno M.; Lock J.B.; Youn J.S.; Song J.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Geochemical Journal
- Geochemical Journal vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 341 - 356
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Noble gas, Nd and Sr isotopic ratios and major and trace element compositions were determined for ultramafic xenoliths and their host Cenozoic alkali basalts from Baegdusan, Baegryongdo, Jogokri, Jejudo in the Korean peninsula, and Long Quan, close to the Baegdusan in northeastern China, to characterize the lithospheric mantle and the source of alkali basaltic magmatism beneath the active continental margin of the southeastern part of the Eurasian plate. The xenolith samples yield significantly variable 3He/4He ratios ranging from <0.2 to 16.8 RA, with most samples (3.5-7.9 RA) lower than the MORB value (∼8 RA). Among them, high 3He/4He ratios obtained by melting the samples are considered to reflect cosmogenic contribution. The 40Ar/ 36Ar ratios are much lower than the MORB values. Enriched Nd-Sr isotopic compositions in xenoliths and host basalts from the Baegdusan and Baegryongdo areas suggest assimilation of EMII lithosphere and/or continental crust. Widely ranging trace element concentrations in the xenoliths and highly saturated incompatible elements in the host alkali basalts are observed. K-Ar age data show that Cenozoic alkali volcanism in the Korean peninsula occurred intermittently, ranging in age from 21 Ma through 11.5-5.0 Ma to 0.1 Ma, and becoming gradually younger toward the south of the peninsula. Our geochemical and isotopic data suggest the presence of heterogeneously metasomatized enriched lithospheric mantle generated at an ancient subduction zone within the continental margin of the southeastern end of the Eurasian plate. Degree of enrichments by the metasomatism is discussed based on the observed 3He/ 4He ratios in the xenolithic olivines. Copyright © 2005 by The Geochemical Society of Japan.
- Appears in Collections:
- 사범대학 > 과학교육과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.