View : 106 Download: 0
Pilot-scale subcritical water extraction of flavonoids from satsuma mandarin (Citrus unshiu Markovich) peel
- Pilot-scale subcritical water extraction of flavonoids from satsuma mandarin (Citrus unshiu Markovich) peel
- Ko M.-J.; Kwon H.-L.; Chung M.-S.
- Ewha Authors
- 정명수; 고민정
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies
- vol. 38, pp. 175 - 181
- Flavonoids; Pilot scale; Satsuma mandarin peel; Subcritical water extraction
- Elsevier Ltd
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- The effects of operating parameters (extraction temperature, extraction time, material type, solute/solvent ratio, and pressure) on the subcritical water extraction of flavonoids from dried satsuma mandarin peel were studied. From the practical aspect, the optimum conditions for obtaining flavonoids by pilot-scale subcritical water extraction were as follows: extraction temperature of 130 °C, extraction time of 15 min, and solute/solvent ratio of 1/34. The yields of flavonoids obtained under laboratory and pilot conditions were similar: 117.8 and 113.4 mg/g satsuma mandarin peel, respectively. The proportion of flavonoids recovered by subcritical water extraction in the pilot plant was 96.3%, and large-scale experiments using this method demonstrate its potential industrial applications. Industrial relevance This study used a pilot-scale subcritical water extraction (SWE) plant (8 L scale) for the scale-up and commercialization of the SWE process that extracts antioxidant flavonoids from agricultural by-products such as Citrus unshiu Markovich. SWE is excellent technology to selectively extract flavonoids using temperature-dependent dielectric constant properties of water. The flavonoid yield from the pilot-scale SWE was similar to that obtained from laboratory-scale SWE. These results indicate that SWE is an efficient and rapid method for extracting flavonoids, and a safer product only using purified water. This method can be easily implemented on an industrial scale. © 2016
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 식품공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.