View : 113 Download: 0
Effects of extract of lactic acid bacteria culture media on quality characteristics of pork loin and antimicrobial activity against pathogenic bacteria during cold storage
- Effects of extract of lactic acid bacteria culture media on quality characteristics of pork loin and antimicrobial activity against pathogenic bacteria during cold storage
- Lee Y.J.; Ko K.S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition
- vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1476 - 1480
- Cultured media; Lactic acid bacteria; Pathogenic bacteria; Pork meat; Safe storage
- Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition
- SCOPUS; KCI
- Anti-microbial effects of the medium extracts from three different lactic acid bacteria (LB1, Lactobacillus acidophilus; LB2, Lactobacillus casei; LB3, Lactobacillus sicerae) were investigated. Three different extracts of lactic acid bacteria media (ELAM) did not show significant changes in pork loin quality after 3 and 14 days of cold storage such as general contents, colors, pH, and TBARS. To determine anti-bacterial activity of three ELAM, three pathogenic bacteria (Bacillus cereus, Bacillus subtilis, and Staphylococcus aureus) were obtained and incubated with ELAM-absorbed paper discs. ELAM of LB2 and LB3 showed significantly larger bacterial growth inhibitory zones compared with that of LB1 (P<0.05). When the pathogenic bacteria inoculated in pork loin with three ELAM, total microbial contents of pork loin treated with ELAM of LB3 after 14 days of cold storage showed significantly lower microbial contents compared to those of control, LB1 and LB2 (P<0.05). In conclusion, ELAM of LB3 derived from L. sicerae had the most effective pathogenic bacteria inhibitory activity on agar and pork loin. This is the first result to report the antibacterial effect of L. sicerae. If the safety and toxicity characteristics of L. sicerae are further investigated, this new lactic acid bacterium would have potential as an effective and nature-friendly food preserving agent. © 2013 by The Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 신산업융합대학 > 식품영양학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.