View : 228 Download: 0
The impact of ICT use on new millennium learners' educational performance
- The impact of ICT use on new millennium learners' educational performance
- Kang M.; Kim M.; Heo H.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Interactive Technology and Smart Education
- vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 18 - 27
- Age groups; Cognition; Communication technologies; Information technology; Learning; South Korea
- Purpose The purpose of this study is to investigate the impact of information and communication technology (ICT) use on the educational performance of new millennium learners (NMLs). Even though many factors might influence individual performance besides ICT use itself, the research focus was on the relationship between the behavioral patterns of ICT use and educational performance. Design/methodology/approach A nationwide survey with 1,071 tenth graders considered as NMLs was conducted in Korea. The behavioral patterns of the learners' ICT use were identified in three dimensions of place, purpose and context, and the educational performance was measured in cognitive, affective and sociocultural domains. Findings Based on correlation and regression analyses, the better use of ICT for NMLs and the directions for the future study related to ICT use and educational performance were suggested. Research limitations/implications Major contribution of this study is to divide ICT use into place, purpose and context of using ICT and to investigate their relationships with educational performance refined with cognitive, affective and sociocultural domains. Limitations of the study are coined with the samples and selfreport survey tools. Continuing effort to validate the tools and various samples is needed. Practical implications Policy makers could use the results of the study to implement the ICT diffusion and adaption process. Originality/value There is no such questionnaires related to ICT use and educational performance in Korea, as well as in other nations. More crosscultural studies would be a great help in the field of education. © 2011, Emerald Group Publishing Limited
- Appears in Collections:
- 사범대학 > 교육공학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.