View : 27 Download: 0
Eight hours of nocturnal 915 MHz radiofrequency identification (RFID) exposure reduces urinary levels of melatonin and its metabolite via pineal arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase activity in male rats
- Eight hours of nocturnal 915 MHz radiofrequency identification (RFID) exposure reduces urinary levels of melatonin and its metabolite via pineal arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase activity in male rats
- Sun Kim H.; Paik M.-J.; Hee Lee Y.; Lee Y.-S.; Do Choi H.; Pack J.-K.; Kim N.; Ahn Y.H.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- International Journal of Radiation Biology
- vol. 91, no. 11, pp. 898 - 907
- Melatonin; Pineal gland; Radiofrequency identifi cation; Rat
- Taylor and Francis Ltd
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Purpose: We investigated the effects of whole-body exposure to the 915 MHz radiofrequency identification (RFID) on mela-tonin biosynthesis and the activity of rat pineal arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase (AANAT).Materials and methods: Rats were exposed to RFID (whole-body specific absorption rate, 4 W/kg) for 8 h/day, 5 days/week, for weeks during the nighttime. Total volume of urine excreted during a 24-h period was collected after RFID exposure. Uri-nary melatonin and 6-hydroxymelatonin sulfate (6-OHMS) was measured by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), respectively. AANAT enzyme activity was measured using liquid biphasic dif-13 fusion assay. Protein levels and mRNA expression of AANAT was 14 measured by Western blot and reverse transcription polymerase 15 chain reaction (RT-PCR) analysis, respectively.Results: Eight hours of nocturnal RFID exposure caused a sig-nificant reduction in both urinary melatonin (p = 0. 003) and 6-OHMS (p = 0. 026). Activity, protein levels, and mRNA expres-sion of AANAT were suppressed by exposure to RFID (p < 0. 05).Conclusions: Our results suggest that nocturnal RFID exposure can cause reductions in the levels of both urinary melatonin and 6-OHMS, possibly due to decreased melatonin biosynthesis via suppression of Aanat gene transcription in the rat pineal gland. © 2015 Informa UK, Ltd.
- Appears in Collections:
- 약학대학 > 약학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.