View : 33 Download: 0
Peroxiredoxin I is a ROS/p38 MAPK-dependent inducible antioxidant that regulates NF-κB-mediated iNOS induction and microglial activation
- Peroxiredoxin I is a ROS/p38 MAPK-dependent inducible antioxidant that regulates NF-κB-mediated iNOS induction and microglial activation
- Kim S.-U.; Park Y.-H.; Min J.-S.; Sun H.-N.; Han Y.-H.; Hua J.-M.; Lee T.-H.; Lee S.-R.; Chang K.-T.; Kang S.W.; Kim J.-M.; Yu D.-Y.; Lee S.-H.; Lee D.-S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Neuroimmunology
- vol. 259, no. 41276, pp. 26 - 36
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Reactive oxygen species (ROS) function as modulators of pro-inflammatory processes in microglia-associated neurodegenerative diseases.However, little is known about the involvement of specific antioxidants in regulating the microglial redox status. Here, we demonstrated that peroxiredoxin (Prx) I activity was induced by lipopolysaccharide (LPS), but not paraquat and hydrogen peroxide, through activation of the ROS/p38 MAPK signal pathway, and participated in alleviating the microglial activation and generation of nitric oxide (NO). Interestingly, a null mutation of Prx I accelerated NF-κB-mediated iNOS induction and subsequent NO secretion in LPS-stimulated microglia. Furthermore, F4/80 expression as microglial activation marker was notably up-regulated in primary cultures of microglia, hippocampal sections, and cerebral cortex of 15-month-old Prx I-/- mouse.Taken together, the results of our study indicated that Prx I is an antioxidant that is up-regulated in a ROS/p38 MAPK-dependent manner and governs the progression of neuroinflammation by suppressing microglial activation. In addition, Prx I deficiency increased the nuclear translocation of NF-κB mediated-iNOS induction as pro-inflammatory mediators.The findings of our work suggest possible strategies for developing novel therapies to treat inflammation-associated degenerative neurological diseases by targeting the induction of Prx I in microglial cells. © 2013 Elsevier B.V.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 생명과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.