View : 96 Download: 0
Curcumin suppresses the TPA-induced invasion through inhibition of PKCα-dependent MMP-expression in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells
- Curcumin suppresses the TPA-induced invasion through inhibition of PKCα-dependent MMP-expression in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells
- Kim J.-M.; Noh E.-M.; Kwon K.-B.; Kim J.-S.; You Y.-O.; Hwang J.-K.; Hwang B.-M.; Kim B.-S.; Lee S.-H.; Lee S.J.; Jung S.H.; Youn H.J.; Lee Y.-R.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Phytomedicine vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1085 - 1092
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Curcumin (diferuloylmethane) is a polyphenol derived from the plant turmeric (Curcuma longa), which is commonly used as a spice. Although anti-carcinogenic, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammation, and anti-angiogenic properties have been reported, the effect of curcumin on breast cancer metastasis is unknown. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) is a major component in cancer cell invasion. In this study, we investigated the inhibitory effect of curcumin on 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA)-induced MMP-9 expression and cell invasion and the molecular mechanisms involved in MCF-7 cells. Our results showed that curcumin inhibits TPA-induced MMP-9 expression and cell invasion through suppressing NF-κB and AP-1 activation. Also, curcumin strongly repressed the TPA-induced phosphorylation of p38 and JNK and inhibited TPA-induced translocation of PKCα from the cytosol to the membrane, but did not affect the translocation of PKCδ. These results indicate that curcumin-mediated inhibition of TPA-induced MMP-9 expression and cell invasion involves the suppression of the PKCα, MAPK and NF-κB/AP-1 pathway in MCF-7 cells. Curcumin may have potential value in restricting breast cancer metastasis. © 2012 Elsevier GmbH. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 약학대학 > 약학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.