View : 62 Download: 0
Anti-atherogenic effect of BHB-TZD having inhibitory activities on cyclooxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase in hyperlipidemic mice
- Anti-atherogenic effect of BHB-TZD having inhibitory activities on cyclooxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase in hyperlipidemic mice
- Choi J.-H.; Jeon H.J.; Park J.-G.; Sonn S.K.; Lee M.-R.; Lee M.-N.; You H.J.; Kim G.-Y.; Kim J.-H.; Lee M.H.; Kwon O.-S.; Nam K.-H.; Kim H.-C.; Jeong T.-S.; Lee W.S.; Oh G.T.
- Ewha Authors
- 오구택; 손성근; 이미니
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 오구택; 손성근; 이미니
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- vol. 212, no. 1, pp. 146 - 152
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Cyclooxygenase (COX) and 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX), which play pivotal roles in atherogenesis, have been reported to be involved in plaque stability. Licofelone, a dual COX and 5-LOX inhibitor, has been reported to possess anti-atherogenic effect in rabbit atherosclerosis model. We therefore investigated the anti-atherogenic effect of BHB-TZD [5-(3,5-di-tert-butyl-4-hydroxybenzylidene)thiazolidin-2,4-dione], a dual COX and 5-LOX inhibitor, in low density lipoprotein receptor null (LDLR-/-) mice. Fifteen LDLR-/- mice were fed a western diet (control group), whereas 15 were fed a western diet plus 0.1% (w/w) BHB-TZD (BHB-TZD group). After 8 weeks, the BHB-TZD group had markedly lower serum levels of leukotriene B4 and prostaglandin E2 than the control group. Interestingly, BHB-TZD treatment also reduced plasma triglyceride level without significant changes in total cholesterol and HDL levels. Compared with control mice, BHB-TZD fed mice had 52% fewer fatty streak lesions in the aortic sinus, as well as fewer initial lesions in the aortic arch. Macrophage infiltration into the lesions was 40% lower, and collagen and smooth muscle cells were increased by 102% and 96%, respectively, in the BHB-TZD group compared with the control group. In addition, aortic expression of proatherogenic molecules including TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6, MCP-1 and VCAM-1, was lower in the BHB-TZD group than the control group. BHB-TZD treatment also reduced MMP-2 and MMP-9 expressions in aorta. In conclusion, BHB-TZD effectively attenuated atherosclerosis in mouse model, suggesting its therapeutic potential for atherosclerosis. © 2010 Elsevier Ireland Ltd.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 생명과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.