View : 240 Download: 0
Case Studies of a Structured Singing Experience for the Psychological Well-Being of Hospice Patients
- Case Studies of a Structured Singing Experience for the Psychological Well-Being of Hospice Patients
- Oh J.E.; Chong H.J.; Kim A.J.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Alternative and Complementary Therapies
- Alternative and Complementary Therapies vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 85 - 94
- hospice care; music therapy; psychological well-being; singing
- Mary Ann Liebert Inc.
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Background: Patients with a terminal illness receiving hospice care suffer from high psychological and emotional distress and physical pain, which impact quality of life. Music therapy has been shown to be an effective approach in reducing pain and improving quality of life. Methods: Three female patients with terminal cancer participated in a structured singing program, which comprised breathing, humming, toning, listening to songs, and singing songs. In order to examine the psychological well-being of participants, vocal and verbal responses of patients were recorded and analyzed qualitatively using three subcategories of psychological well-being:, autonomy, self-acceptance, and positive relationship. Results: Results showed positive changes in the responses of participants experiencing increased psychological well-being during their participation in the singing program. Singing offered opportunities to build a positive self-image, interact with the therapist, and build autonomy in musical and nonmusical behavior. Conclusion: The findings from this study suggest that a singing experience structured to meet patients' individual needs and their condition can help enhance their psychological well-being during hospice care. © Copyright 2019, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., publishers 2019.
- Appears in Collections:
- 일반대학원 > 음악치료학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.