View : 334 Download: 0
Raman mapping study of the pigments in the dancheong of Korean traditional buildings
- Raman mapping study of the pigments in the dancheong of Korean traditional buildings
- Ji J.-E.; Han K.; Nam J.; Kim S.; Kang D.-I.; Park M.-J.; Lee H.-H.; Yang I.-S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of the Korean Physical Society
- Journal of the Korean Physical Society vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 796 - 801
- Cultural heritage; Dancheong; Pigment; Raman mapping; Raman spectroscopy
- The Korean Physical Society
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Korea experienced a tragic loss of most of the Sungnyemun building in an arson attack in 2008. Few scientific records of the pigments originally used in the Korean national treasure exist, thus, the restoration of Sungnyemun was a serious failure. Because the Raman spectroscopic method has the advantage of analyzing the pigment phases in a simple, nondestructive, and noncontact way, it is becoming more important in scientific research on the colors present in cultural assets. In this study, Raman mapping measurements of the pigments in several “dancheong” - color decorations of the surfaces of the wood structure of Korean buildings - samples from Bongjeongsa Geukrakjeon and Sunglimsa Bogwangjeon are presented. The distribution of the pigments, which is difficult to observe with the naked eye, can be found in detail through a high-resolution Raman mapping image. A change of Raman spectrum due to the powderization of some pigments in the colored layer is also observed. The powderization of the pigments is considered to be due to weathering. Our Raman study will be helpful for the preservation and restoration of cultural heritage in general. © 2017, The Korean Physical Society.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 물리학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.