View : 380 Download: 0
A preliminary study on the origin of Koreans based on Y-STR variation
- A preliminary study on the origin of Koreans based on Y-STR variation
- Kim S.H.; Chun B.W.; Jung J.; Kemp B.M.; Kwak K.D.; Cho N.S.; Kim J.J.; Han M.S.; Kim W.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Genes and Genomics
- Genes and Genomics vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 353 - 359
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- To investigate the origin of Koreans, we examined the 12-locus Y-chromosome short tandem repeat (Y-STR) variation in a sample of 310 unrelated males from three localities (Gochang, Andong and Geoje) in Korea and statistically analyzed the previously published four Y-STR databases (n = 1655) of Korean population. The median joining network of 9-locus Y-STR haplotypes inferred as haplogroup O2b-SRY +465 showed a "star cluster" indicative of a population expansion from a centrally positioned haplotype. The central haplotype in the "star cluster" was the most frequently occurring Y-STR haplotype among the Korean male gene pool (6%, 127 of 1965, 10,14,12,13,14,16,13,13,23, for loci DYS391, DYS389I, DYS439, DYS438, DYS437, DYS19, DYS392, DYS393, and DYS390), which was shared among all seven datasets. Based on the "star cluster" pattern from both our data (41%, 128 of 310) and those previously published (34%, 563 of 1655), we suggest that the most frequent Y-STR haplotype among the Korean male gene pool seems to be the Korean modal (ancestral) haplotype. Further study with additional Y-STR and Y-SNP data of the east Asian populations as well as Korean population are needed to providing a genetic clue for the "star cluster" (O2b-SRY +465) associated with the ethnohistoric events of the Koreans. © 2010 The Genetics Society of Korea and Springer Netherlands.
- Appears in Collections:
- 사범대학 > 과학교육과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.