View : 495 Download: 0
16S/23S intergenic spacer region as a genetic marker for Thiobacillus thiooxidans and T. ferrooxidans
- 16S/23S intergenic spacer region as a genetic marker for Thiobacillus thiooxidans and T. ferrooxidans
- Lee H.-W.; Choi W.-Y.; Cho K.-S.; Choi W.
- Ewha Authors
- 조경숙; 최원자
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 조경숙; 최원자
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 1046 - 1054
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Bioleaching is the process in which insoluble metal sulfide is oxidized by specialized iron- and/or sulfur-oxidizing lithotrophic bacteria in acidic, metal-rich environments. Most of these processes are carried out by the genus Thiobacillus. Three novel Thiobacillus strains (Thiobacillus thiooxidans AZ11, Thiobacillus thiooxidans MET, and Thiobacillus thiooxidans TAS) associated with bioleaching have been isolated from soil and sludge (Korean patent No. 1999-0073060 for T. thiooxidans AZ11, Korean patent No. 1999-0005798 for T. thiooxidans MET, and Korean patent No. 1999-0073059 for T. thiooxidans TAS). A partial sequence of 16S ribosomal RNA gene (16S rDNA) and the entire sequence of 16S/23S intergenic spacer region (ISR) were determined in the three above novel strains and in Thiobacillus ferrooxidans ATCC19859 as a reference strain. When phylogenetic analysis was performed based on G+C contents and sequence alignments, T. ferrooxidans ATCC19859 was found to be closely related to previously registered T. ferrooxidans strains in a monophyletic manner, while the three novel T. thiooxidans strains were classified in a paraphyletic manner. Close examination on the base composition of 16S/23S ISR revealed that the 5′ part (nucleotide residues 21-200) was specific for the genus Thiobacillus. On the other end, the 3′ part (nucleotide residues 201-520) showed specificity in T. ferrooxidans strains, but not in T. thiooxidans strains. These results suggest that the proximal and distal halves of 16S/23S ISR could be used as a genetic marker for the identification of the genus Thiobacillus and the species T. ferrooxidans, respectively.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 환경공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.