View : 277 Download: 0
Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction for Microbial Growth Kinetics of Mixed Culture System
- Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction for Microbial Growth Kinetics of Mixed Culture System
- Cotto, Ada; Looper, Jessica K.; Mota, Linda C.; Son, Ahjeong
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF MICROBIOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
- JOURNAL OF MICROBIOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1928 - 1935
- Microbial growth; Monod; quantitative PCR (qPCR); Pseudomonas putida; Escherichia coli K12
- KOREAN SOC MICROBIOLOGY &
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
Show the fulltext
- Microbial growth kinetics is often used to optimize environmental processes owing to its relation to the breakdown of substrate (contaminants). However, the quantification of bacterial populations in the environment is difficult owing to the challenges of monitoring a specific bacterial population within a diverse microbial community. Conventional methods are unable to detect and quantify the growth of individual strains separately in the mixed culture reactor. This work describes a novel quantitative PCR (qPCR)-based genomic approach to quantify each species in mixed culture and interpret its growth kinetics in the mixed system. Batch experiments were performed for both single and dual cultures of Pseudomonas putida and Escherichia coli K12 to obtain Monod kinetic parameters (mu(max) and K-s). The growth curves and kinetics obtained by conventional methods (i.e., dry weight measurement and absorbance reading) were compared with that obtained by qPCR assay. We anticipate that the adoption of this qPCR-based genomic assay can contribute significantly to traditional microbial kinetics, modeling practice, and the operation of bioreactors, where handling of complex mixed cultures is required.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 환경공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.