View : 410 Download: 0
Learning English through Christian Topics
- Learning English through Christian Topics
- Issue Date
- 외국어교육특수대학원 TESOL학과
- 이화여자대학교 외국어교육특수대학원
- Eunae Laura Park
- This textbook explores various topics relevant to Christianity and Christian life. Learning materials and activities in the textbook are designed to provide meaningful opportunity for learners to critically think and share their ideas and opinions with their peers. The book is therefore based on two main approaches: Theme-based and CLT (communicative Language Teaching) as it employs its central theme as Christianity and seeks to foster production mostly in the form of speaking. This book is most suitable for learners who are interested in bible studying and Christian ways of viewing as well as English language learning. Teachers who intend to use this book for their language classes are recommended to mainly use English in order to take full benefits of immersion language program.
This textbook is designed for learners in their 20s and 30s whose language proficiency range from intermediate to upper intermediate. Due to its high lexical density and use of theme-particular words (Christianity terms) studying with this book could be quite difficult for English learners below intermediate level. Also each unit in the textbook has well-balanced focus on all four language skills: reading, listening, speaking, and writing but since its activities are designed to maximize learners speaking production this textbook is more suitable to those whose learning preference is through speaking in interactive environment such as pair work, group discussion and class presentation.
Learners’ main motive for using this textbook would be to improve English proficiency in a domain of bible studying. It is assumed that understanding the content and carrying out the activities depends to large extent whether the learners have experience in bible studying or familiar with teachings of Christianity. However, it is not only meant for believers of Christianity although it is important to note that if unfamiliar with the theme (Christianity) language learning by using this book could occur at the expense of joy and positive attitude toward English learning in general.
The textbook is best used in Christian educational settings, for instance, Sunday schools for young adults, or elective English course in Christian-based colleges. This book draws all of its leaning materials from authentic sources such as newspapers, magazines, TV broadcasts, lectures, online sermons, and other media materials in order to familiarize learners with authentic language and its use in real life settings.
The textbook consist of topics most pertinent to the learners’ age. Some examples are; relationships, money management, making right decisions, dealing with emotions, etc. these topics will be inter-woven with Christian teaching extracted from bible, number of devotionals (bible study guidebook), and lectures and sermons of various preachers. Each lesson is composed of pair and group activities as Christian value can be best reinforced when shared with others.
- ☞ 이 논문은 저자가 원문공개에 동의하지 않은 논문으로, 도서관 내에서만 열람이 가능하며, 인쇄 및 저장은 불가합니다.;석사학위를 수여받기 위해 제출된 포트폴리오임
- Show the fulltextShow the fulltext
- Appears in Collections:
- 외국어교육특수대학원 > TESOL학과 > Theses_Master
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.