View : 404 Download: 0
Welcome to Korean Cosmetic Surgery Clinic
- Welcome to Korean Cosmetic Surgery Clinic
- Issue Date
- 외국어교육특수대학원 TESOL학과
- 이화여자대학교 외국어교육특수대학원
- Candice A. MacDonald
- Currently, many tourists visit Korea not just for their holidays, but for the specific purpose of medical treatment especially for cosmetic treatments. However, according to a survey done by Statistics Korea, the majority of patients who have had treatment in Korea have mentioned that they had trouble communicating with staff in hospitals due to the lack of English among nurses and support staff. Patients also responded that they felt a bit insecure while they are examined. To address this problem, and to develop and improve Korean medical tourism, the focus of my portfolio will be on creating an instruction book for nurses and support staff in the medical industry.
Thanks to the Korean wave or, ‘Hallyu’, many people around the world are interested in Korean culture as well as in Korean entertainers’ appearances. Korea is known for its skillful plastic surgeons who provide treatment at prices much more affordable than other countries, hence making Korea a medical tourism destination not only for those in the East, but also the West.
The Korean government has declared that it will allocate funds to train marketing professionals and medical tour coordinators to attract more patients.
In addition to medical tourists, foreigners also work in a plethora of other careers and these residents will, at some point, likely visit doctor’s offices and hospitals.
The group of students I seek to address is people working in hospitals who might serve foreign patients such as nurses, and support staff whose ages range from mid-20s to 40s. The target learners all have a Bachelor’s degree or higher. They are somewhat familiar with some basic vocabulary in English. Target students will learn how to serve the patients before and after the treatment.To improve their speaking skills, students will do role-plays and for listening skills, learners will watch authentic videos of hospital situations and hospital as well.
The learners’ proficiency level is low-intermediate , and they hope to learn how to treat and accommodate patients and explain some details of treatment procedures in an appropriate manner.
I have chosen this target group of students because medical tourism could expand with hospital staff who are communicatively competent in English which could possibly lead to boosting this area of the Korean economy and also help foreigners staying in Korea seek treatment effectively without any difficulties.
- 석사학위를 수여받기 위해 제출된 포트폴리오임;☞ 이 논문은 저자가 원문공개에 동의하지 않은 논문으로, 도서관 내에서만 열람이 가능하며, 인쇄 및 저장은 불가합니다.
- Show the fulltextShow the fulltext
- Appears in Collections:
- 외국어교육특수대학원 > TESOL학과 > Theses_Master
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.