View : 63 Download: 0
Using the Angoff method to set a standard on mock exams for the Korean Nursing Licensing examination
- Using the Angoff method to set a standard on mock exams for the Korean Nursing Licensing examination
- Yim M.K.; Shin S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Educational Evaluation for Health Professions
- Journal of Educational Evaluation for Health Professions vol. 17
- Angoff method; Licensing examination; Nurse; Standard setting
- Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute
- SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
- Purpose: This study explored the possibility of using the Angoff method, in which panel experts determine the cut score of an exam, for the Korean Nursing Licensing Examination (KNLE). Two mock exams for the KNLE were analyzed. The Angoff standard setting procedure was conducted and the results were analyzed. We also aimed to examine the procedural validity of applying the Angoff method in this context. Methods: For both mock exams, we set a pass-fail cut score using the Angoff method. The standard setting panel consisted of 16 nursing professors. After the Angoff procedure, the procedural validity of establishing the standard was evaluated by investigating the responses of the standard setters. Results: The descriptions of the minimally competent person for the KNLE were presented at the levels of general and subject performance. The cut scores of first and second mock exams were 74.4 and 76.8, respectively. These were higher than the traditional cut score (60% of the total score of the KNLE). The panel survey showed very positive responses, with scores higher than 4 out of 5 points on a Likert scale. Conclusion: The scores calculated for both mock tests were similar, and were much higher than the existing cut scores. In the second simulation, the standard deviation of the Angoff rating was lower than in the first simulation. According to the survey results, procedural validity was acceptable, as shown by a high level of confidence. The results show that determining cut scores by an expert panel is an applicable method. © 2020 Korea Health Personnel Licensing Examination Institute.
- Appears in Collections:
- 간호대학 > 간호학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.