View : 103 Download: 0
Optimization of tenocyte lineage-related factors from tonsil-derived mesenchymal stem cells using response surface methodology
- Optimization of tenocyte lineage-related factors from tonsil-derived mesenchymal stem cells using response surface methodology
- Kwon, Soon-Sun; Kim, Hyang; Shin, Sang-Jin; Lee, Seung Yeol
- Ewha Authors
- 신상진; 이승열
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY AND RESEARCH
- JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY AND RESEARCH vol. 15, no. 1
- Tenocyte; Tonsil-derived mesenchymal stem cells; Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells; Design of experiments; Response surface methodology
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Background In order to optimize the tenogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), researchers should consider various factors. However, this requires testing numerous experimental settings, which is costly and time-consuming. We aimed to assess the differential effects of transforming growth factor beta-3 (TGF-beta 3) on the tenogenesis of tonsil-derived MSCs (T-MSCs) and bone marrow-derived MSCs (BM-MSCs) using response surface methodology (RSM). Methods Bone marrow and tonsillar tissue were collected from four patients; mononuclear cells were separated and treated with 5 or 10 ng/mL of TGF-beta 3. A full factorial experimental design with a categorical factor of 0 was employed to study the effect of tension based on T-MSCs. Eighty-four trials were fitted with RSM and then used to obtain mathematical prediction models. Results Exposure of T-MSCs and BM-MSCs to TGF-beta 3 increased the expression of scleraxis (SCX), tenomodulin (TNMD), decorin, collagen I, and tenascin C. Expression of most of these factors reached a maximum after 2-3 days of treatment. The model predicted that the values of the tenocyte lineage-related factors assessed would be significantly increased at 2.5 days of culture with 2.7 ng/mL of TGF-beta 3 for T-MSCs and at 2.3 days of culture regardless of TGF-beta 3 concentration for BM-MSCs. Conclusions This study demonstrated that the RSM prediction of the culture time necessary for the tenogenic differentiation of T-MSCs and BM-MSCs under TGF-beta 3 stimulation was similar to the experimentally determined time of peak expression of tenocyte-related mRNAs, suggesting the potential of using the RSM approach for optimization of the culture protocol for tenogenesis of MSCs.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.