View : 184 Download: 0
Effects of structural empowerment and professional governance on autonomy and job satisfaction of the Korean nurses
- Effects of structural empowerment and professional governance on autonomy and job satisfaction of the Korean nurses
- Choi, Sujin; Kim, Miyoung
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF NURSING MANAGEMENT
- JOURNAL OF NURSING MANAGEMENT vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1664 - 1672
- autonomy; decision-making; job satisfaction; professional governance; structural empowerment
- SCIE; SSCI; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Aim To investigate the relationships among structural empowerment, professional governance, autonomy and job satisfaction in the Korean nurses and to provide a more in-depth explanation of the nature of professional governance as a process. Background Professional governance in nursing is a key component in the Magnet Recognition Program. However, little is known about professional governance in the Korean nursing. Methods A sequential, explanatory, mixed-method study with the Korean nurses (n = 208). Results The quantitative findings showed that decision-making among the Korean nurses fell on a continuum of professional governance directed by managers. The mediating effects of professional governance on the relationships between structural empowerment and autonomy and between structural empowerment and job satisfaction were significant. The qualitative findings described the inhibitors and facilitators of professional governance. Conclusion The findings of this study highlight the significance of professional governance in providing nurses with more control over nursing practice and patient care and in encouraging nurses' involvement in organizational decision-making. Implications for Nursing Management Health care organizations should establish internal policies that give nurses the power to voice their opinions on inpatient care, encourage unit managers to create a positive nursing work environment through support and recognition and have nurses set council activity goals based on their needs.
- Appears in Collections:
- 간호대학 > 간호학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.