View : 106 Download: 0
DECREASED CIRCULATING KLOTHO LEVELS IN PATIENTS UNDERGOING DIALYSIS AND RELATIONSHIP TO OXIDATIVE STRESS AND INFLAMMATION
- DECREASED CIRCULATING KLOTHO LEVELS IN PATIENTS UNDERGOING DIALYSIS AND RELATIONSHIP TO OXIDATIVE STRESS AND INFLAMMATION
- Oh, Hyung Jung; Nam, Bo Young; Lee, Mi Jung; Kim, Chan Ho; Koo, Hyang Mo; Doh, Fa Mee; Han, Jae Hyun; Kim, Eun Jin; Han, Ji Suk; Park, Jung Tak; Yoo, Tae-Hyun; Kang, Shin-Wook; Han, Dae-Suk; Han, Seung Hyeok
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- PERITONEAL DIALYSIS INTERNATIONAL
- PERITONEAL DIALYSIS INTERNATIONAL vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 43 - 51
- ESRD; inflammation; klotho; oxidative stress
- MULTIMED INC
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Introduction: It has been reported that klotho deficiency is associated with oxidative stress and inflammation in experimental kidney disease models. Patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) are particularly characterized by increased oxidative stress and inflammation. However, little is known about the relationship between these features and klotho in patients with ESRD. Methods: We conducted a single-center, cross-sectional study of 78 patients receiving peritoneal dialysis (PD). Serum concentrations of klotho, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP), interleukin-6 (IL-6), and 8-isoprostane were measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. To define factors independently associated with klotho, we determined Spearman's correlation coefficients for between co-variates and conducted multiple linear regression analyses. Results: Patients were classified by median concentration of klotho. In patients with klotho levels > 329.6 pg/mL, serum 8-isoprostane and IL-6 levels were significantly higher than in those with klotho levels < 329.6 pg/mL. In correlation analyses, log 8-isoprostane (gamma = -0.310, p = 0.006) and log IL-6 (gamma = -0.343, p = 0.002) were inversely correlated with log klotho. After adjustment for age, gender, mean arterial pressure, log intact parathyroid hormone, and log IL-6, log 8-isoprostane was independently associated with log klotho (beta = -0.158, p = 0.040). However, the significant relationship between klotho and IL-6 was not seen in an adjusted model. Conclusions: This study showed that circulating klotho levels were significantly associated with 8-isoprostane -levels in patients undergoing PD, suggesting a potential link between klotho deficiency and enhanced oxidative stress in ESRD patients.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의료원 > 의료원 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.