View : 41 Download: 0
Prediction of plantar soft tissue stiffness based on sex, age, bodyweight, height and body mass index
- Prediction of plantar soft tissue stiffness based on sex, age, bodyweight, height and body mass index
- Teoh, Jee Chin; Lee, Taeyong
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS
- JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS vol. 54, pp. 219 - 222
- Plantar soft tissues stiffness; Indentation; Bodyweight; Height; Body mass index
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- 15% of Diabetes Mellitus (DM) patients suffer high risk of ulceration and 85% of the amputation involving DM population is caused by non-healing ulcers. These findings elucidate the fact that foot ulcer can result in major amputation especially to the DM and elderly population. Therefore, early diagnosis of abnormally stiffened plantar soft tissue is needed to prevent the catastrophic tissue damage. In order to differentiate between normal and pathological tissues, a threshold reference value that defines healthy tissue is required. The objective of this study is to perform a multivariate analysis to estimate the healthy plantar tissue stiffness values based on the individuals physical attributes such as bodyweight (BW), height and body mass index (BMI) as well as their age and sex. 100 healthy subjects were recruited. Indentation was performed on 2nd metatarsal head pad at 3 different dorsiflexion angles of 0, 20, 40 and the hallux and heel at 0 degrees. The results showed the important influences of BW, height and BMI in determining the plantar tissue stiffness. On the other hand, age and sex only play minimal roles. The study can be further extended to increase the reliability and accuracy of the proposed predictive model by evaluating several other related parameters such as body fat content, footwear usage, frequency of sports participation, etc. (C) 2015 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 휴먼기계바이오공학부 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.