View : 27 Download: 0
Out of the book and into the classroom: The experiences of Korean social studies pre-service teachers in an international teaching practicum in the United States
- Out of the book and into the classroom: The experiences of Korean social studies pre-service teachers in an international teaching practicum in the United States
- Kim, Yeji; Choi, Minsik
- Ewha Authors
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- ASIA-PACIFIC JOURNAL OF TEACHER EDUCATION
- ASIA-PACIFIC JOURNAL OF TEACHER EDUCATION vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 176 - 192
- Cross-cultural experiences; international teaching practicum; multicultural teacher education; social studies pre-service teachers
- ROUTLEDGE JOURNALS, TAYLOR &
- SSCI; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Despite the growing interest and importance of pre-service teachers' cross-cultural experiences, a review of the literature shows that few studies have discussed the international teaching practicum experiences of pre-service teachers from Asian countries. Bridging this gap, this qualitative case study examined the perceptions and experiences of 15 Korean social studies pre-service teachers who participated in an international teaching practicum in the United States. The findings of the study demonstrated that although participants encountered difficulties in speaking a foreign language and adjusting to a different culture, they also gained confidence and self-efficacy by negotiating and actively participating in the teaching and learning process. This international teaching practicum also helped participants promote their own understanding of multiculturalism and their different perspectives of the teachers' roles, teaching pedagogies, and local education systems. This study offers implications for future multicultural professional development in teacher education and contributes to developing a body of research and scholarship on international teaching practicums from Asian contexts that have, to date, been largely underexplored.
- Appears in Collections:
- 사범대학 > 사회과교육과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.