View : 77 Download: 0
Correlation between temperature and the timing of arrival of geese in South Korea
- Correlation between temperature and the timing of arrival of geese in South Korea
- Kim M.-K.; Lee S.-I.; Jablonski P.G.; Lee S.-D.
- Ewha Authors
- 이상돈; 김민경
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Ecology and Environment
- Journal of Ecology and Environment vol. 42, no. 1
- Autumn migration; First arrival date; Geese; Temperature
- BioMed Central Ltd.
- Document Type
- The impact of climate change on animals has been globally documented. Especially, migration of birds has been extensively monitored as migratory birds are susceptible to any changes occurring both on breeding grounds and on wintering grounds. However, in contrast to spring migration, the patterns and the factors for autumn migration have not been well documented. In this study, we investigated the relationship with climate condition and the first arrival dates (FADs) of bean geese (Anser fabalis) and white-fronted geese (A. albifrons), the representative group of wintering birds in South Korea, using the data collected by Korean Meteorological Association during 1995-2016. Average temperature of September in wintering grounds has increased, and the FADs of the geese have advanced over the 22 years. Even when the influence of autumn temperature was statistically controlled for, the FADs of the geese have significantly advanced. This suggests that warming has hastened the completion of breeding, which speeded up the arrival of the geese at the wintering grounds. In order to assess the effect of climate condition on the arrival of the wintering migratory birds such as the geese in more detail, extensive data collection over many sampling sites and with long-term monitoring is needed. © 2018 The Author(s).
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 환경공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.