View : 21 Download: 0
Administration of alphas1-casein hydrolysate increases sleep and modulates GABAA receptor subunit expression
- Administration of alphas1-casein hydrolysate increases sleep and modulates GABAA receptor subunit expression
- Yayeh T.; Leem Y.-H.; Kim K.-M.; Jung J.-C.; Schwarz J.; Oh K.-W.; Oh S.
- Ewha Authors
- 오세관; 임예현
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 오세관; 임예현
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Biomolecules and Therapeutics
- Biomolecules and Therapeutics vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 268 - 273
- Electroencephalogram; GABAA receptor; Sleep; αS1-CH
- Korean Society of Applied Pharmacology
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
- Sleep is the most basic and essential physiological requirement for mental health, and sleep disorders pose potential risks of metabolic and neurodegenerative diseases. Tryptic hydrolysate of αS1 -casein (αS1 -CH) has been shown to possess stress relieving and sleep promoting effects. However, the differential effects of αS1 -CH on electroencephalographic wave patterns and its effects on the protein levels of γ-aminobutyric acid A (GABAA) receptor subtypes in hypothalamic neurons are not well understood. We found αS1 -CH (120, 240 mg/kg) increased sleep duration in mice and reduced sleep-wake cycle numbers in rats. While αS1 -CH (300 mg/kg) increased total sleeping time in rats, it significantly decreased wakefulness. In addition, electroencephalographic theta (θ) power densities were increased whereas alpha (α) power densities were decreased by αS1 -CH (300 mg/kg) during sleep-wake cycles. Furthermore, protein expressions of GABAA receptor β1 subtypes were elevated in rat hypothalamus by αS1 -CH. These results suggest αS1 -CH, through GABAA receptor modulation, might be useful for treating sleep disorders. © 2018 The Korean Society of Applied Pharmacology.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.