View : 10 Download: 0
A novel pan-Nox inhibitor, APX-115, protects kidney injury in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice: Possible role of peroxisomal and mitochondrial biogenesis
- A novel pan-Nox inhibitor, APX-115, protects kidney injury in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice: Possible role of peroxisomal and mitochondrial biogenesis
- Kwon G.; Uddin M.J.; Lee G.; Jiang S.; Cho A.; Lee J.H.; Lee S.R.; Bae Y.S.; Moon S.H.; Lee S.J.; Cha D.R.; Ha H.
- Ewha Authors
- 배윤수; 하헌주
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 배윤수; 하헌주
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Oncotarget vol. 8, no. 43, pp. 74217 - 74232
- APX-115; Diabetic kidney disease; Mitochondria and peroxisome; Oxidative stress; pan-Nox inhibitor
- Impact Journals LLC
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- NADPH oxidase (Nox)-derived reactive oxygen species (ROS) are increasingly recognized as a key factor in inflammation and extracellular matrix accumulation in diabetic kidney disease. APX-115 (3-phenyl-1-(pyridin-2-yl)-4-propyl-1-5- hydroxypyrazol HCl) is a novel orally active pan-Nox inhibitor. The objective of this study was to compare the protective effect of APX-115 with a renin-angiotensin system inhibitor (losartan), the standard treatment against kidney injury in diabetic patients, on streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic kidney injury. Diabetes was induced by intraperitoneal injection of STZ at 50 mg/kg/day for 5 days in C57BL/6J mice. APX-115 (60 mg/kg/day) or losartan (1.5 mg/kg/day) was administered orally to diabetic mice for 12 weeks. APX-115 effectively prevented kidney injury such as albuminuria, glomerular hypertrophy, tubular injury, podocyte injury, fibrosis, and inflammation as well as oxidative stress in diabetic mice, similar to losartan. In addition, both APX-115 and losartan treatment effectively inhibited mitochondrial and peroxisomal dysfunction associated with lipid accumulation. Our data suggest that APX-115, a pan-Nox inhibitor, may become a novel therapeutic agent against diabetic kidney disease by maintaining peroxisomal and mitochondrial fitness. © Kwon et al.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 생명과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.