View : 62 Download: 0
Determination of Volatiles and Carotenoid Degradation Compounds in Red Pepper Fermented by Lactobacillus parabuchneri
- Determination of Volatiles and Carotenoid Degradation Compounds in Red Pepper Fermented by Lactobacillus parabuchneri
- Lee, Sang Mi; Lee, Joo Young; Cho, Youn Jeung; Kim, Moon Seok; Kim, Young-Suk
- Ewha Authors
- 김영석; 이상미
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 김영석; 이상미
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF FOOD SCIENCE
- JOURNAL OF FOOD SCIENCE vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 2083 - 2091
- carotenoid degradation compounds; fermentation; Lactobacillus parabuchneri; red pepper; volatiles
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Red pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) has been used as one of key ingredients in certain fermented foods due to it providing a unique hot and spicy sensation. In this study, volatile compoundsincluding degradation compounds of carotenoidsin fermented red pepper inoculated with Lactobacillus parabuchneri were investigated. In total, the contents of certain alcohols, benzene and its derivatives, esters, hydrocarbons, lactones, pyrazines, and terpenes were increased in red pepper inoculated with L. parabuchneri, while those of aldehydes, sulfur-containing compounds, and ketones decreased during the fermentation period. The contents of some degradation compounds of carotenoids (-ionone, -cyclocitral, -ionone, and -damascenone) increased significantly with the fermentation period. In particular, the content of -damascenonewhich could form by the degradation of neoxanthinincreased gradually during fermentation, but this compound was not detected in 0-day samples. These findings indicate that the contents of certain volatilesincluding degradation compounds of carotenoidsin fermented red pepper inoculated with L. parabuchneri can change markedly during the fermentation process. Practical ApplicationThis study investigated the changes of volatiles and carotenoids degradation compounds in fermented red pepper inoculated with Lactobacillus parabuchneri during fermentation. These results could be used to improve the quality of red pepper-based products and in the development of certain fermented foods, including Gochujang (fermented red pepper paste) and kimchi.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 식품공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.