View : 73 Download: 0
Facile dimerization of viologen radical cations covalently bonded to β-cyclodextrin and suppression of the dimerization by β-cyclodextrin and amphiphiles
- Facile dimerization of viologen radical cations covalently bonded to β-cyclodextrin and suppression of the dimerization by β-cyclodextrin and amphiphiles
- Park J.W.; Choi N.H.; Kim J.H.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Physical Chemistry
- Journal of Physical Chemistry vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 769 - 774
- Document Type
- Dimerization of radical cations of mono-6-(1-alkyl-4,4′-bipyridino)-β-cyclodextrins (β-CD-CnV•+, n = 6, 7, 8) formed via Ru(bpy)32+-sensitized photochemical reduction of β-CD-CnV2+ was studied spectroscopically, and the results were compared with those of methylalkyl viologens. Spectral characteristics of monomer and dimer of viologen radical cations were derived. The dimerization constants have been determined to be 4.0 × 104 M-1 for β-CD-C6V•+, 8.9 × 105 M-1 for β-CD-C7V•+, and 6.8 × 106 M-1 for β-CD-C8V•+. These values are 2-3 orders of magnitude greater than those for the corresponding methylalkyl viologen radical cations. The dimer formation is driven by a large enthalpy decrease and a moderate entropy increase. The dimerization is suppressed upon addition of β-CD or amphiphilic molecules that are included into β-CD. These results indicate that the dimers are stabilized by inclusion of the alkyl chain of the 1-alkyl-4,4′-bipyridino moiety of the β-CD-CnV•+ molecule into the β-CD cavity of the counter molecule. Association constants of β-CD-CnV•+ with β-CD and amphiphilic molecules have been determined from the dependence of dimerization constants on the concentrations of β-CD or amphiphiles. The results suggested that the terminal methyl and ethyl groups of the alkyl chains of β-CD-C7V•+ and β-CD-C8V•+, respectively, are included in the β-CD cavities of the same molecules, and this intramolecular inclusion affects the association of β-CD-CnV•+ with β-CD and amphiphiles. © 1996 American Chemical Society.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.