View : 217 Download: 0
Early life history of the eastern Korean tetraploid spined loach, lksookimia yongdokensis (Pisces: Cobitidae)
- Early life history of the eastern Korean tetraploid spined loach, lksookimia yongdokensis (Pisces: Cobitidae)
- Ko, Myeong-Hun; Jeon, Yeon Seon; Won, Yong-Jin
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- FOLIA ZOOLOGICA
- FOLIA ZOOLOGICA vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 153 - 162
- artificial fertilisation; fecundity; mature egg size; hatching of the embryo; larva
- INST VERTEBRATE BIOLOGY AS CR
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- We investigated whether tetraploidy in Iksookimia yongdokensis adds more species specific variation in its early life history characteristics. To this end, morphological and temporal characteristics were analysed using artificial fertilisation and laboratory culture, and the results were compared to seventeen other species of the family Cobitidae. Extensive comparison of these characteristics among the cobitid species showed that tetraploid I. yongdokensis was apparently longer in egg diameter (1.54 +/- 0.08 mm), hatching size (5.8 +/- 0.15 mm in total length), and time to hatching (65 hours after fertilisation) than the other diploid cobitid species. With respect to these characteristics, I. yongdokensis was most similar to the congeneric species of Iksookimia (except I. pacifica). Next closest in similarity, were the other two species of different genera, Kichulchoia brevifasciata and Cobitis takatsuensis. Notably, all of the species with similar characteristics to I. yongdokensis were coincident in that they prefer a similar habitat, that being a bottom of pebbles and cobbles in middle to upper streams. In conclusion, the present study indicates that characteristics of the early life history of cobitid species are associated with both taxonomic closeness and habitat type.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 생명과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.