View : 5 Download: 0
Methane mitigation technology using methanotrophs: A review
- Methane mitigation technology using methanotrophs: A review
- Cho K.-S.; Jung H.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Microbiology and Biotechnology Letters
- vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 185 - 199
- Biotechnology; High-cell density culture; Methane; Methanotrophs; Microbial community structure
- Korean Society for Microbiolog and Biotechnology
- Methane, which is emitted from natural and anthropogenic sources, is a representative greenhouse gas for global warming. Methanotrophs are widespread in the environment and play an important role in the biological oxidation of methane via methane monooxygenases (MMOs), key enzymes for methane oxidation with broad substrate specificity. Methanotrophs have attracted attention as multifunctional bacteria with promising applications in biological methane mitigation technology and environmental bioremediation. In this review, we have summarized current knowledge regarding the biodiversity of methanotrophs, catalytic properties of MMOs, and high-cell density cultivation technology. In addition, we have reviewed the recent advances in biological methane mitigation technologies using methanotrophs in field-scale systems as well as in lab-scale bioreactors. We have also surveyed information on the dynamics of the methanotrophic community in biological systems and discussed the various challenges pertaining to methanotroph-related biotechnological innovation, such as identification of suitable methanotrophic strains with better and/or novel metabolic activity, development of high-cell density mass cultivation technology, and the microbial consortium (methanotrophs and non-methanotrophs consortium) design and control technology. © 2017, The Korean Society for Microbiology and Biotechnology.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 환경공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.