View : 69 Download: 0
Establishment of Growth Strategies for International Construction Firms by Exploring Diversification-Related Determinants and Their Effects
- Establishment of Growth Strategies for International Construction Firms by Exploring Diversification-Related Determinants and Their Effects
- Sung Y.-K.; Lee J.; Yi J.-S.; Son J.
- Ewha Authors
- 이준성; 손정욱
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 이준성; 손정욱
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Management in Engineering
- vol. 33, no. 5
- Business performance; Clustering; Construction strategy; Diversification
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Many construction firms have promoted diversification as an important growth strategy. However, previous studies on diversification performance show conflicting results on the correlation between diversification and business performance. Although this is partly because of the different theoretical perspectives of researchers, it is mainly derived from the differences between the various industries and their market environments. Thus, this study considers the influencing factors, such as construction market environment, company size, and business segment, which affect the relationship between diversification and business performance to analyze the relationship between international business diversification and the business performance of international contractors. Based on the data released in the Engineering News Record and financial reports, varied statistical exploration including correlation and clustering analysis were performed to derive effective strategies grounded in the relationship between diversification level and business performance. According to the analysis results, the international business diversification levels showed a clear positive correlation with sales revenue, whereas business diversification, profit margin, and current ratio did not show a strong correlation; rather, a higher level of diversification tended to weaken the profit margin and current ratio. From the result showing the correlation between diversification and business performance derived from the clustering analysis, it was found that although diversification is essential to facilitate growth in the size of the company, it can reduce the profitability and stability of a diversified company. Ultimately, this study will provide appropriate and effective business strategy guidelines for international contractors endeavoring to expand their international markets. © 2017 American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 건축공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.