View : 17 Download: 0
Generating Color from Polydisperse, Near Micron-Sized TiO2 Particles
- Generating Color from Polydisperse, Near Micron-Sized TiO2 Particles
- Alam, Al-Mahmnur; Baek, Kyungnae; Son, Jieun; Pei, Yi-Rong; Kim, Dong Ha; Choy, Jin-Ho; Hyun, Jerome K.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES
- vol. 9, no. 28, pp. 23941 - 23948
- TiO2 particles; Mie scattering; refractive index sensors; polydispersity; color generation
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Single particle Mie calculations of near micron sized TiO2 particles predict strong light scattering dominating the visible range that would give rise to a white appearance. We demonstrate that a polydisperse collection of these "white" particles can result in the generation of visible colors through ensemble scattering. The weighted averaging of the scattering over the particle size distribution modifies the sharp, multiple, high order scattering modes from individual particles into broad variations in the collective extinction. These extinction variations are apparent as visible colors for particles suspended in organic solvent at low concentration, or for a monolayer of particles supported on a transparent substrate viewed in front of a white light source. We further exploit the color variations on optical sensitivity to the surrounding environment to promote micron-sized. TiO2 particles as stable and robust agents for detecting the optical index of homogeneous media with high contrast sensitivities. Such distribution-modulated scattering properties provide TiO2 particles an intriguing opportunity to impart color and optical sensitivity to their widespread electronic and chemical platforms such as antibacterial windows, catalysis, photocatalysis, optical sensors, and photovoltaics.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.