View : 138 Download: 0
Association between left ventricular function and paraprotein type in patients with multiple myeloma
- Association between left ventricular function and paraprotein type in patients with multiple myeloma
- Yi, Jeong-Eun; Lee, Sung-Eun; Jung, Hae-Ok; Min, Chang-Ki; Youn, Ho-Joong
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- KOREAN JOURNAL OF INTERNAL MEDICINE
- 1226-3303; 2005-6648
- vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 459 - 468
- Multiple myeloma; Serum monoclonal paraprotein; Ventricular function, left
- KOREAN ASSOC INTERNAL MEDICINE
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Background/Aims: Multiple myeloma (MM)-associated cardiac damage, particularly according to the type of monoclonal (M) protein has not been elucidated. We sought to investigate relationship between elevated serum M protein levels and echocardiographic indices of cardiac structure and function in patients with MM. Methods: We evaluated a total of 184 consecutive MM patients who underwent echocardiography for bone marrow pre-transplant screening. Serum levels of intact immunoglobulin M protein and free light chain kappa/lambda (FLC-kappa/-lambda) were measured. Results: One hundred thirty-nine patients were non-light chain MM (non-LCMM) and 45 patients belonged to LCMM. In patients with non-LCMM, significant correlations were found between serum M protein and left atrial volume index (LAVi; r = 0.720, p < 0.0001), E/e' (r = 0.511, p < 0.0001), and systolic pulmonary arterial pressure (r = 0.485, p < 0.0001). In patients with LCMM, log-transformed FLC-lambda (log-lambda) was correlated with left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF, r = -0.536, p = 0.010), left ventricular (LV) end-systolic dimension (r = 0.500, p = 0.018), and LV end-systolic volume (r = 0.444, p = 0.038). On multivariate analyses, hematocrit and serum M protein were independent predictors of LAVi in patients with non-LCMM. In patient with LCMM, FLC-lambda isotype was only found to be an independent determinant of LVEF. Conclusions: An increase in serum M protein was associated with LV diastolic dysfunction, whereas an increase in serum FLC-lambda concentration showed a negative correlation with the echocardiographic parameters of LV systolic function. These findings also suggest that serum M protein has different effects on LV function according to the type of paraproteins in patients with MM.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의료원 > 의료원 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.