View : 62 Download: 0
Protective Role of Mitochondrial Peroxiredoxin III against UVB-Induced Apoptosis of Epidermal Keratinocytes
- Protective Role of Mitochondrial Peroxiredoxin III against UVB-Induced Apoptosis of Epidermal Keratinocytes
- Baek J.Y.; Park S.; Park J.; Jang J.Y.; Wang S.B.; Kim S.R.; Woo H.A.; Lim K.M.; Chang T.-S.
- Ewha Authors
- 창동신; 우현애; 임경민
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 창동신; 우현애; 임경민
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Investigative Dermatology
- vol. 137, no. 6, pp. 1333 - 1342
- Elsevier B.V.
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- UVB light induces generation of reactive oxygen species, ultimately leading to skin cell damage. Mitochondria are a major source of reactive oxygen species in UVB-irradiated skin cells, with increased levels of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species having been implicated in keratinocyte apoptosis. Peroxiredoxin III (PrxIII) is the most abundant and potent H2O2-removing enzyme in the mitochondria of most cell types. Here, the protective role of PrxIII against UVB-induced apoptosis of epidermal keratinocytes was investigated. Mitochondrial H2O2 levels were differentiated from other types of ROS using mitochondria-specific fluorescent H2O2 indicators. Upon UVB irradiation, PrxIII-knockdown HaCaT human keratinocytes and PrxIII-deficient (PrxIII–/–) mouse primary keratinocytes exhibited enhanced accumulation of mitochondrial H2O2 compared with PrxIII-expressing controls. Keratinocytes lacking PrxIII were subsequently sensitized to apoptosis through mitochondrial membrane potential loss, cardiolipin oxidation, cytochrome c release, and caspase activation. Increased UVB-induced epidermal tissue damage in PrxIII–/– mice was attributable to increased caspase-dependent keratinocyte apoptosis. Our findings show that mitochondrial H2O2 is a key mediator in UVB-induced apoptosis of keratinocytes and that PrxIII plays a critical role in protecting epidermal keratinocytes against UVB-induced apoptosis through eliminating mitochondrial H2O2. These findings support the concept that reinforcing mitochondrial PrxIII defenses may help prevent UVB-induced skin damage such as inflammation, sunburn, and photoaging. © 2017 The Authors
- Appears in Collections:
- 약학대학 > 약학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.