View : 147 Download: 0
Recurrence outcomes after omission of postoperative radiotherapy following breast-conserving surgery for ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: a multicenter, retrospective study in Korea (KROG 16-02)
- Recurrence outcomes after omission of postoperative radiotherapy following breast-conserving surgery for ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: a multicenter, retrospective study in Korea (KROG 16-02)
- Kim, Kyubo; Jung, So-Youn; Shin, Kyung Hwan; Kim, Jin Ho; Han, Wonshik; Lee, Han-Byoel; Huh, Seung Jae; Choi, Doo Ho; Park, Won; Ahn, Seung Do; Kim, Su Ssan; Kim, Jin Hee; Suh, Chang-Ok; Kim, Yong Bae; Kim, In Ah; Kim, Suzy; Kim, Yi-Jun
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- BREAST CANCER RESEARCH AND TREATMENT
- 0167-6806; 1573-7217
- vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 77 - 83
- Ductal carcinoma in situ; Radiation therapy; Age; Resection margin
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- To evaluate the loco-regional recurrence (LRR) rate after breast-conserving surgery without postoperative radiotherapy (RT) for ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) of the breast. Between 2000 and 2010, 311 DCIS patients from 9 institutions were analyzed retrospectively. The median age was 47 (range, 20-82). The median tumor size was 7 mm (range, 0.01-76). Margin width was < 1 cm in 85 patients (27.3%), and nuclear grade was high in 37 patients (11.9%). Two hundred and three patients (65.3%) received tamoxifen. With a median follow-up of 74 months (range, 5-189), there were 11 local recurrences (invasive carcinoma in 6 and DCIS in 5) and 1 regional recurrence. The 7-year LRR rate was 3.8%. On univariate analysis, age and margin width were significant risk factors influencing LRR (p = 0.017 and 0.014, respectively). When age and margin width were combined among 211 patients whose margin width were available, the 7-year LRR rates were as follows (p < 0.001): (1) 0% in patients with age > 50 years and any margin width status (n = 64), (2) 1.2% in age <= 50 years and margin width >= 1 cm (n = 93), (3) 13.1% in age <= 50 years and margin width < 1 cm (n = 54). The LRR rate was very low in selected DCIS patients treated with breast-conserving surgery without postoperative RT. However, adjuvant RT should be considered for those with age <= 50 years and margin width < 1 cm.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.