View : 350 Download: 0
Can you feel me?: How embodiment levels of telepresence systems affect presence
- Can you feel me?: How embodiment levels of telepresence systems affect presence
- Choi J.J.; Kwak S.S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- 25th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, RO-MAN 2016
- 25th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, RO-MAN 2016, pp. 606 - 611
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- Since a telepresence system is a system intended to be used in interpersonal communication, conveying the presence of a remote sender is an important issue. Robotic telepresence system is a newer variant of a telepresence system. Even though robot characteristics of having physical embodiment could be effective on building presence of itself, this could yield distortion of presence of a remote sender in telepresence. Thus, in order to determine effective methods of increasing sender presence during telecommunication, we perform a two within-participants experiment, considering the effects of the embodiment levels, by comparing a weakly-embodied telepresence system, a tablet and a strongly-embodied telepresence system, a telepresence robot (number of participants, N = 48). In this study, the participants engage in conversations with a remote sender either through a tablet or a telepresence robot. The results show that participants have a lesser sense of sender presence for a strongly-embodied telepresence system compared to the weakly-embodied telepresence system. On the other hand, participants perceived more presence of a telepresence system toward a strongly-embodied telepresence system than a weakly-embodied telepresence system. The implications of these findings are the weakly-embodied telepresence systems would be effectively used in settings where emotional connection is a priority. In addition, incorporating sensory modalities should be considered for neutralizing the negative effects of strong embodiment on presence. © 2016 IEEE.
- Appears in Collections:
- 조형예술대학 > 산업디자인전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.