View : 129 Download: 0
Needle-like iron oxide@CaCO3 adsorbents for ultrafast removal of anionic and cationic heavy metal ions
- Needle-like iron oxide@CaCO3 adsorbents for ultrafast removal of anionic and cationic heavy metal ions
- Islam M.S.; Choi W.S.; Nam B.; Yoon C.; Lee H.-J.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Chemical Engineering Journal
- vol. 307, pp. 208 - 219
- Adsorbent; Calcium carbonate; Heavy metal ion removal; Iron oxide; Water treatment
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- A carbonate-based mesoporous magnetic adsorbent IO@CaCO3 was synthesized via a hydrothermal method. The IO@CaCO3 adsorbent removed both anionic (As(V) and Cr(VI)) and cationic (Pb(II)) heavy metal ions at a rate orders of magnitude faster than any conventional adsorbents reported to date; due to synergistic effect of needle-like IO and CaCO3, it completely removed (99.99%) the toxic heavy metal ions from wastewater in only 9 min. In addition, it exhibited excellent As(V), Cr(VI), and Pb(II) removal capacities of 184.1, 251.6, and 1041.9 mg g−1, respectively, over a wide pH range. The heavy metal ion adsorption mechanism involves ion-exchange reactions between the cationic/anionic heavy metal ions and the positively/negatively charged groups on the adsorbent. Along with the batch adsorption tests, heavy metal ion removal by IO@CaCO3 was also performed by column filtration, demonstrating the potential of IO@CaCO3 for use in practical applications. Moreover, the excellent removal efficiencies of the adsorbent for the heavy metal ions up to drinking water level and its easy separation by an external magnetic field enabled it to be effectively reused. © 2016 Elsevier B.V.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.