View : 16 Download: 0
Inactivation of escherichia coli O157:H7, salmonella typhimurium, and listeria monocytogenes on stored iceberg lettuce by aqueous chlorine dioxide treatment
- Inactivation of escherichia coli O157:H7, salmonella typhimurium, and listeria monocytogenes on stored iceberg lettuce by aqueous chlorine dioxide treatment
- Kim Y.-J.; Lee S.-H.; Park J.; Chung M.; Kwon K.; Chung K.; Won M.; Song K.B.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Food Science
- vol. 73, no. 9, pp. M418 - M422
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella typhimurium, and Listeria monocytogenes in iceberg lettuce by aqueous chlorine dioxide (ClO 2) treatment was evaluated. Iceberg lettuce samples were inoculated with approximately 7 log CFU/g of E. coli O157:H7, S. typhimurium, and L. monocytogenes. Iceberg lettuce samples were then treated with 0, 5, 10, or 50 ppm ClO2 solution and stored at 4 °C. Aqueous ClO2 treatment significantly decreased the populations of pathogenic bacteria on shredded lettuce (P < 0.05). In particular, 50 ppm ClO2 treatment reduced E. coli O157:H7, S. typhimurium, and L. monocytogenes by 1.44, 1.95, and 1.20 log CFU/g, respectively. The D10-values of E. coli O157:H7, S. typhimurium, and L. monocytogenes in shredded lettuce were 11, 26, and 42 ppm, respectively. The effect of aqueous ClO2 treatment on the growth of pathogenic bacteria during storage was evaluated, and a decrease in the population size of these pathogenic bacteria was observed. Additionally, aqueous ClO2 treatment did not affect the color of lettuce during storage. These results suggest that aqueous ClO2 treatment can be used to improve the microbial safety of shredded lettuce during storage. © 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 식품공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.