View : 76 Download: 0
Azo dye Acid Red 27 decomposition kinetics during ozone oxidation and adsorption processes
- Azo dye Acid Red 27 decomposition kinetics during ozone oxidation and adsorption processes
- Beak M.H.; Ijagbemi C.O.; Kim D.S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Environmental Science and Health - Part A Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering
- Journal of Environmental Science and Health - Part A Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 623 - 629
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- To elucidate the effects of ozone dosage, catalysts, and temperature on azo dye decomposition rate in treatment processes, the decomposition kinetics of Acid Red 27 by ozone was investigated. Acid Red 27 decomposition rate followed the first-order reaction with complete dye discoloration in 20 min of ozone reaction. The dye decay rate increases as ozone dosage increases. Using Mn, Zn and Ni as transition metal catalysts during the ozone oxidation process, Mn displayed the greatest catalytic effect with significant increase in the rate of decomposition. The rate of decomposition decreases with increase in temperature and beyond 40C, increase in decomposition rate was followed by a corresponding increase in temperature. The FT-IR spectra in the range of 1000-1800 cm-1 revealed specific band variations after the ozone oxidation process, portraying structural changes traceable to cleavage of bonds in the benzene ring, the sulphite salt group, and the C-N located beside the -N = N- bond. From the 1H-NMR spectra, the breaking down of the benzene ring showed the disappearance of the 10 H peaks at 7-8 ppm, which later emerged with a new peak at 6.16 ppm. In a parallel batch test of azo dye Acid Red 27 adsorption onto activated carbon, a low adsorption capacity was observed in the adsorption test carried out after three minutes of ozone injection while the adsorption process without ozone injection yielded a high adsorption capacity.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 환경공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.