View : 176 Download: 0
An Open-label Comparison of a New Generic Sevoflurane Formulation with Original Sevoflurane in Patients Scheduled for Elective Surgery under General Anesthesia
- An Open-label Comparison of a New Generic Sevoflurane Formulation with Original Sevoflurane in Patients Scheduled for Elective Surgery under General Anesthesia
- Byon H.-J.; Choi B.-M.; Bang J.-Y.; Lee E.-K.; Lee S.-S.; Noh G.-J.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Clinical Therapeutics
- Clinical Therapeutics vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 887 - 901
- compound A; effectiveness; generic sevoflurane; inorganic fluoride
- Excerpta Medica Inc.
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Purpose To compare the stability, effectiveness, and safety profiles of a new generic sevoflurane with those of the original sevoflurane formulation in patients undergoing elective surgery. Methods An accelerated 3-month storage test was performed to evaluate the compositional changes in generic sevoflurane stored in glass bottles. In addition, 182 patients were randomly allocated to receive generic (n = 89 [54 men and 35 women]; mean [SD] age, 49.9 [11.6] years) or original (n = 93 [61 men and 32 women]; mean [SD] age, 49.6 [11.1] years) sevoflurane at a gas flow of 3 L/min for approximately 3 hours. The mean minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) during sevoflurane anesthesia was evaluated, and gas samples for measuring compound A were collected from the inspiratory limb of the circuit at preset intervals. Blood samples for measuring serum inorganic fluoride were obtained at preset intervals (pharmacokinetic group: generic/original sevoflurane = 45/46). Renal biomarkers, such as N-acetyl-β-glucosaminidase, α- and π-glutathione-S-transferase, albumin, urine protein and osmolality, serum creatinine and osmolality, creatinine clearance, and blood urea nitrogen, were measured at preset intervals (renal biomarker group: generic/original sevoflurane = 44/47). Adverse reactions were monitored for 72 hours after discontinuation of sevoflurane use. Findings Generic sevoflurane contained in glass bottles was stable for 3 months. The mean MAC was similar for generic and original sevoflurane (median [range], 0.93 [0.67-1.29] vs 0.94 [0.63-1.5] vol%). Adverse event rates were similar (90.3% vs 84.3%), as were the AUC<inf>last</inf> of inorganic fluoride (333.7 [112.7-1264.7] vs 311.9 [81.5-1266.5] hours·μmol/L) and compound A (51.8 [6.3-204.5] vs 55.3 [10.8-270.6] hours·ppm). Biomarkers associated with renal injury were not significantly different between the 2 formulations. Implications No significant difference was found in the mean MAC between generic and original sevoflurane. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01096212. © 2015 Elsevier HS Journals, Inc. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 통계학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.