View : 175 Download: 0
Effects of a Pueraria lobata-root based combination supplement containing Rehmannia glutinosa and aerobic exercise on improvement of metabolic dysfunctions in ovariectomized rats
- Effects of a Pueraria lobata-root based combination supplement containing Rehmannia glutinosa and aerobic exercise on improvement of metabolic dysfunctions in ovariectomized rats
- Oh S.A.; Ok H.M.; Kim H.J.; Lee W.J.; Kwon O.
- Ewha Authors
- 이원준; 권오란
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 이원준; 권오란
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Nutrition and Health
- vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 133 - 139
- Aerobic exercise; Metabolic dysfunction; Ovariectomized rats; Pueraria lobata; Rehmannia glutinosa
- Korean Nutrition Society
- SCOPUS; KCI
- Purpose: There is a fair amount of evidence indicating that increased risk of obesity and insulin resistance is associated with postmenopausal state, but can be modulated by diet and exercise. In this study, we explored whether a Pueraria lobata root-based supplement containing Rehmannia glutinosa (PR) and/or aerobic treadmill exercise can modify the metabolic changes associated with estrogen deficiency. Methods: Seventy rats were randomly assigned to the following groups for 8 weeks (n=10 per group): SHAM, sham-operated; PR0, ovariectomized (OVX) control; PR200, OVX with PR200 mg/kg B.W; PR400, OVX with PR400 mg/kg B.W; EPR0, OVX with exercise; EPR200, OVX with exercise and PR200 mg/kg B.W; EPR400, OVX with exercise and PR400 mg/kg B.W. Results: OVX induced significant increases in body weight, food intake, fat mass, LDL-cholesterol, and fasting blood glucose, confirming induction of menopausal symptoms. PR supplementation or exercise significantly suppressed the above mentioned changes through different regulatory elements in adipose tissue: PR supplement upregulated adiponectin gene expression and aerobic exercise upregulated adiponectin and insulin receptor gene expression and a combination of PR supplement and aerobic exercise showed an additive effect on adiponectin gene expression. Conclusion: Taken together, the results of this study suggest that PR supplement has a potential to provide health benefits in OVX rats through leptin and adiponectin secretion. In addition, the data suggest that combination of exercise and PR would have additive effects on metabolic dysfunction associated with estrogen deficiency. © 2015 The Korean Nutrition Society.
- Appears in Collections:
- 신산업융합대학 > 체육과학부 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.