View : 41 Download: 0
Structure and Physical Properties of the Barium Niobium Sulfides BaNbS3 and BaNb0.8S3-δ
- Structure and Physical Properties of the Barium Niobium Sulfides BaNbS3 and BaNb0.8S3-δ
- Kim S.-J.; Bae H.-S.; Yee K.-A.; Choy J.-H.; Kim D.-K.; Hur N.-H.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Solid State Chemistry
- vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 427 - 434
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- BaNb0.8S3-δ and BaNbS3 were prepared by heating desired amounts of BaCO3 and Nb2O5 under CS2/N2 flow. We found that nominal composition of BaNb0.8S has sulfur defect, and therefore should be written as BaNb0.8S3-δ. XANES experiments of Nb K-edges and XPS experiments proved that the oxidation state of Nb is the same in BaNb0.8S3-δ and BaNbS3. To understand their structures, the electronic and physical properties of the BaMX3 (M = V, Nb, X = S; M = Ta, X = S, Se) phases are compared. In spite of their structural similarity, they exhibit rather different physical properties. It has been known that BaVS3 is a metal and undergoes a metal to semiconductor transition at 130 K, and this phase shows the ferro antiferromagnetic transition at a lower temperature. However, BaNbS3 and BaTaS3 are diamagnetic semiconductors at room temperature. The major factor stabilizing the semiconducting state for BaTaX3 and BaNbS3 may be a large spin-orbit coupling rather than a structural distortion. © 1995 Academic Press. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.