View : 105 Download: 0
A comparative study on physical function test between faller group and nonfaller group among community-dwelling elderly
- A comparative study on physical function test between faller group and nonfaller group among community-dwelling elderly
- Shin K.R.; Kang Y.; Jung D.; Kim M.; Lee E.
- Ewha Authors
- 신경림; 강윤희; 정덕유; 김미영
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 신경림; 강윤희; 정덕유; 김미영
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Asian Nursing Research
- vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 42 - 48
- SCIE; SSCI; SCOPUS; KCI
- Purpose: This study aimed to identify the physical function test differences between the faller group and the nonfaller group in a sample of the community-dwelling elderly. Methods: This study used a nonexperimental two-group-comparative study design. The participants were 356 people aged 65 years and over living in an urban area. From May to December 2010, data were collected through personal interviews using questionnaires and measurements of muscle strength, physical endurance, flexibility, motor agility and dynamic balance, and static balance. The collected data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, Chi square analysis, and t test. Results: Upper muscle strength was significantly weaker in the faller group (p < .05). Lower muscle strength was significantly weaker in the faller group; both hip flexion (p = .004), knee extension (Right: p = .004; Left: p = .031), left ankle plantar flexion (p = .045), and left ankle inversion (p = .036). Tandem standing with eyes opened and closed was significantly shorter, indicating decreased static balance in the faller group. Conclusion: Nurses should make efforts to implement exercise programs focused on physical fitness enhancement for community-dwelling elderly adults for fall prevention. Copyright © 2012, Korean Society of Nursing Science. Published by Elsevier. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 간호대학 > 간호학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.