View : 144 Download: 0
N-type nanostructured thermoelectric materials prepared from chemically synthesized ultrathin Bi 2Te 3 nanoplates
- N-type nanostructured thermoelectric materials prepared from chemically synthesized ultrathin Bi 2Te 3 nanoplates
- Son J.S.; Choi M.K.; Han M.-K.; Park K.; Kim J.-Y.; Lim S.J.; Oh M.; Kuk Y.; Park C.; Kim S.-J.; Hyeon T.
- Ewha Authors
- 김성진; 한미경
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 김성진; 한미경
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Nano Letters
- Nano Letters vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 640 - 647
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- We herein report on the large-scale synthesis of ultrathin Bi 2Te 3 nanoplates and subsequent spark plasma sintering to fabricate n-type nanostructured bulk thermoelectric materials. Bi 2Te 3 nanoplates were synthesized by the reaction between bismuth thiolate and tri-n-octylphosphine telluride in oleylamine. The thickness of the nanoplates was ∼1 nm, which corresponds to a single layer in Bi 2Te 3 crystals. Bi 2Te 3 nanostructured bulk materials were prepared by sintering of surfactant-removed Bi 2Te 3 nanoplates using spark plasma sintering. We found that the grain size and density were strongly dependent on the sintering temperature, and we investigated the effect of the sintering temperature on the thermoelectric properties of the Bi 2Te 3 nanostructured bulk materials. The electrical conductivities increased with an increase in the sintering temperature, owing to the decreased interface density arising from the grain growth and densification. The Seebeck coefficients roughly decreased with an increase in the sintering temperature. Interestingly, the electron concentrations and mobilities strongly depended on the sintering temperature, suggesting the potential barrier scattering at interfaces and the doping effect of defects and organic residues. The thermal conductivities also increased with an increase in the sintering temperature because of grain growth and densification. The maximum thermoelectric figure-of-merit, ZT, is 0.62 at 400 K, which is one of the highest among the reported values of n-type nanostructured materials based on chemically synthesized nanoparticles. This increase in ZT shows the possibility of the preparation of highly efficient thermoelectric materials by chemical synthesis. © 2012 American Chemical Society.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.