View : 107 Download: 0
Antiobesity effect of oil extract of ginseng
- Antiobesity effect of oil extract of ginseng
- Kim H.J.; Kang H.J.; Seo J.Y.; Lee C.H.; Kim Y.-S.; Kim J.-S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Medicinal Food
- Journal of Medicinal Food vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 573 - 583
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
- In a preliminary study we found that incubating raw ginseng in oil facilitated autolysis and extensive metabolism of ginseng, releasing flavor and lipophilic compounds into the oil so that it could be used as an ingredient for high value-added foods, while the residue could be utilized for making ginseng extract. Here, we report the effect of oil (grapeseed oil [GSO]) extract of ginseng (OEG) on body weight gain and lipid metabolism in a mouse model. OEG, but not GSO, inhibited porcine pancreatic lipase. Plasma triglyceride (TG) levels were lower in male ICR mice at 1, 2, 3, and 4 hours after oral administration of the lipid emulsion plus OEG (1g/kg of body weight) than in the group administered only the lipid emulsion or lipid emulsion plus GSO. Next, male C57BL/6J mice were fed a standard diet, a high fat (HF) diet containing 30% lard, or diets including 30% OEG or GSO based on the standard diet for 14 weeks. Consumption of OEG-containing diet significantly lowered the body weight gain, feed efficiency, visceral fat accumulation, plasma TG, and hepatic and white epididymal adipocyte sizes, as well as expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ (PPARγ) in liver and adipose tissue. In conclusion, dietary OEG improved obesity-related parameters in blood, liver, and adipose tissue in a mouse model and suppressed obesity induced by HF diet, possibly by regulating lipid metabolism by modulating PPARγ protein expression. © Copyright 2011, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 식품공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.