View : 16 Download: 0
Nutrients and chlorophyll-a dynamics in a temperate reservoir influenced by Asian monsoon along with in situ nutrient enrichment bioassays
- Nutrients and chlorophyll-a dynamics in a temperate reservoir influenced by Asian monsoon along with in situ nutrient enrichment bioassays
- Lee J.H.; Kim J.-M.; Kim D.-S.; Hwang S.-J.; An K.-G.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 49 - 62
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Long-term nutrients and chlorophyll-a dynamics during 1993-2000 were analyzed in a temperate reservoir influenced by the Asian monsoon. Nonparametric Mann-Kendall tests and seasonal trend analyses indicated that there were no long-term annual increasing or decreasing trends in major trophic parameters over 8 years, but the monsoon seasonality was evident. Seasonality in chlorophyll (CHL) and total phosphorus (TP) showed a mono-modal pattern, which was closely associated with the monsoon season of July-August, and the magnitude of the mono-modal peak was greater in the headwater zone than in the downlake zone. Such temporal patterns fluctuated interannually over the study period, and the magnitude of the variation was directly controlled by the intensity of the monsoon rain. Empirical models of annual mean CHL-TP were developed supporting the view that phytoplankton in lentic ecosystems responds to P enrichment and that annual mean TP may provide a reliable basis for predicting the average algal abundance. Ambient nutrient analyses, N:P ratios and in situ nutrient enrichment bioassay experiments (NEBs) in premonsoon and postmonsoon supported the P limitation for phytoplankton growth. Ambient nutrients and non-volatile suspended solid (NVSS) data on CHL in the intense monsoon year, however, showed the possibility of light limitation, even though the NEBs did not show the direct evidence. These findings were confirmed by two-dimensional graphic approaches of trophic state index deviations (TSIDs). © The Japanese Society of Limnology 2009.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 환경공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.