View : 91 Download: 0
Effects of exercise program on physical fitness, depression, and self-efficacy of low-income elderly women in South Korea
- Effects of exercise program on physical fitness, depression, and self-efficacy of low-income elderly women in South Korea
- Shin K.R.; Kang Y.; Park H.J.; Heitkemper M.
- Ewha Authors
- 신경림; 강윤희; 박효정
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 신경림; 강윤희; 박효정
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Public Health Nursing
- vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 523 - 531
- SCIE; SSCI; SCOPUS
- Objective: This study aimed to examine the effects of exercise programs on physical fitness, depression, and self-efficacy in low-income elderly women (age≥75). Design and Sample: A pretest-posttest experimental research design with a control group was used. The sample consisted of 26 women in the exercise group and 22 women in the wait-list control group in Seoul, Korea. Measures: The measures of physical fitness included body mass index, cardiopulmonary endurance (blood pressure and heart rate), muscle strength (hand grip strength), flexibility (degree of bending of the upper body), and balance (duration of time for which the subject could stand on one foot). Depression and self-efficacy were measured by the Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression scale and a modified form of Lee's scale, respectively. All measures were obtained twice: at baseline and at the completion of the exercise program. Intervention: The exercise program consisted of 4 weeks of education along with 8 weeks of physical exercise. Results: After the intervention, significant improvements were found in depression, self-efficacy, and all measures of physical fitness, except heart rate and flexibility, in the experimental group. Conclusion: The exercise program may be recommended as a method to maintain and promote the health of low-income elderly women. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
- Appears in Collections:
- 간호대학 > 간호학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.