View : 41 Download: 0
Statistical inference for exploratory data analysis and model diagnostics
- Statistical inference for exploratory data analysis and model diagnostics
- Buja A.; Cook D.; Hofmann H.; Lawrence M.; Lee E.-K.; Swayne D.F.; Wickham H.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences
- vol. 367, no. 1906, pp. 4361 - 4383
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- We propose to furnish visual statistical methods with an inferential framework and protocol, modelled on confirmatory statistical testing. In this framework, plots take on the role of test statistics, and human cognition the role of statistical tests. Statistical significance of 'discoveries' is measured by having the human viewer compare the plot of the real dataset with collections of plots of simulated datasets. A simple but rigorous protocol that provides inferential validity is modelled after the 'lineup' popular from criminal legal procedures. Another protocol modelled after the 'Rorschach' inkblot test, well known from (pop-)psychology, will help analysts acclimatize to random variability before being exposed to the plot of the real data. The proposed protocols will be useful for exploratory data analysis, with reference datasets simulated by using a null assumption that structure is absent. The framework is also useful for model diagnostics in which case reference datasets are simulated from the model in question. This latter point follows up on previous proposals. Adopting the protocols will mean an adjustment in working procedures for data analysts, adding more rigour, and teachers might find that incorporating these protocols into the curriculum improves their students' statistical thinking. This journal is © 2009 The Royal Society.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 통계학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.