View : 54 Download: 0
Morphological and biochemical changes induced by arsenic trioxide in neuroblastoma cell lines
- Morphological and biochemical changes induced by arsenic trioxide in neuroblastoma cell lines
- Ryu K.-H.; Woo S.-Y.; Lee M.-Y.; Jung Y.-J.; Yoo E.-S.; Seoh J.-Y.; Kie J.-H.; Shin H.-Y.; Ahn H.-S.
- Ewha Authors
- 서주영; 유경하; 유은선; 우소연
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 서주영; 유경하; 유은선; 우소연
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
- Pediatric Hematology and Oncology vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 609 - 621
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Arsenic trioxide has recently been shown to inhibit growth and induce apoptosis in a variety of hematologic malignancies, but very little is known about its effects on solid tumors and especially on neuroblastoma cells that have self-differentiating characteristics. To demonstrate the growth inhibition induced in neuroblastoma cells (the SH-SY5Y and SK-N-AS cell line) and acute promyelocytic leukemia cells (HL-60) by arsenic trioxide (As 2O 3), the viable cell numbers were counted after trypan blue staining. Apoptosis was assessed by the cell morphology, by flow cytometry with annexin-V staining, and by Western blot analysis for the apoptosis-relafed proteins (bcl-2 and PARP). To decide the dose for the clinical application of AS 2O 3, normal peripheral blood lymphocytes were also examined. The growth and survival of the SH-SY5Y and SK-N-AS cells were markedly inhibited by As 2O 3 treatment at a 3 μM concentration before the changes of the normal lymphocytes were observed. The apoptotic cells showed a shrunken cell nucleus, and an increase in the number and balloon-like swelling of the mitochondria at 72 h after the As 2O 3 was added. Apoptosis of the annexin-V-positive cell proportion in the neuroblastoma cell lines was increased with increasing the exposure time and the concentration of As 2O 3, just like the HL-60 cells. Bcl-2 downregulation and PARP degradation were also noted all the cell lines, but these changes were not statistically significant among the 3 cell lines. Taken together, these results indicate that As 2O 3 is an excellent candidate as a therapeutic agent for the treatment of neuroblastoma. Copyright © Taylor and Francis Inc.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.